PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airplane With The Nicest Handling
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2021, 23:15
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Fascinating that so many vote for the Chippy. I had the chance to fly one from the back seat about a year ago. It was a Canadian bubble canopy version. I had never met the owner before this flight. I just happened to be there watching with interest as he pre-flighted and he offered me a ride. He let me taxi and seemed surprised that I didn't find it difficult. I was a passenger for the takeoff and landing but had the chance to play with it in the air. Yes, it had a nice feel to the controls and it did what ever I suggested it should do, but it was a bit disconcerting that the owner had to keep correcting the power setting if I let it deviate by 10 rpm from the only rpm he thought it should operate at. (Is the Gipsy Major really that fussy?)

Sweetest handling aircraft I owned was an ASW-19B. Sweetest one I didn't own was the SHK. No powered aircraft came close but I am having a lot of fun in an FX-3 Carbon Cub. (Rudder feel too light to qualify for best handling award but it sure likes to kiss the ground goodbye.)