PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airplane With The Nicest Handling
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 06:25
FL235

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprised no mention of the Falco and its’ big brother the SF260. Feels like powered controls, really light. Aerobatic, but still stable. Fast enough, maybe 150 - 160 kts depending on engine. Just watch Vne if you let the nose down. Only difficulty is slowing for circuit. My preference was the old “buzz & break”. Cruise speed low over threshold, close throttle and pull up into a pattern that puts you at circuit height and speed for downwind, flap and gear, continue a turning base/final, level the wings just before the flare. Most satisfying when you get it right, don’t do it in front of a flying school, some instructors fear it may give students ideas. You can always say you were doing a runway check,

Obviously room for the Chippy and Turbulent, both great fun. For day to day liveability I have a soft spot for the much derided Aztec. Our C model, much modified and turboed for mapping photo had a ceiling above 30,000’, they will carry ridiculous loads in and out of ridiculous places.

There will always be differing opinions, depending on personal taste and experience. The C185 is a great bush plane, but you will work hard & use full control travel for serious work. The advent of the C206 changed the game in PNG, practically eliminated the ground-loop problem for new hires,but it doesn’t rate handling for mine