PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will we always be wearing masks on aircraft now?
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 05:41
m0nkfish

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts
I think that what little value there is to wearing masks on aircraft is to be so small as to be pointless in comparison to how much of a nuisance it is for some people, along with the waste in terms of having to manufacture and dispose of all these masks.

I have flown quite a few times during the pandemic for work, always long haul. In my experience, although everyone boards the aircraft with a mask, people look for every opportunity to not wear them. I do observe some people who are very strict with their face masks, but the majority of people are taking very long periods of time to consume drinks, meals and snacks (and not wearing their mask in the process), many people are not wearing the mask over both nose and mouth (usually the nose is uncovered), and quite a few people remove them when they go to sleep (or have them half off again). It is difficult for me to imagine how much benefit we are actually getting from this, other than some kind of backside covering exercise, or maybe it is to make some people 'feel' safe.

For me, I hope the mandate is removed ASAP. I already find the experience of flying makes it much more a chore, and wouldn't travel if it wasn't for the fact I am required to for my employment. I definitely won't be travelling for leisure until this rule is relaxed.