PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillette Wings
Thread: Gillette Wings
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2021, 19:19
megan

Received 407 Likes on 212 Posts
The aircraft remained unchanged throughout its life, other than the mods I mentioned above. I'm afraid because of the stature of Eric Brown as a test pilot in Britain his word has been taken by all and sundry as gospel, only one thing wrong, he's barking up a tree. A pilot for the M.52 had never been chosen, Eric because of his position in the industry assumed it was going to be him, thus he had his claim to fame of having his name for ever written in the history books as the first to crack the Mach one was wrest from his grasp. The M.52 would only have been able to make the speed in a dive, not in level flight as had the X-1.

The thread here was the impetus for me to delve into the subject further and obtain the hand written report.made by Doc. Millikan, it took some time to get the story right, I believed the Eric Brown story to begin with, but a read of his M.52 book is so full of easily proven nonsense it makes you wonder if he was senile when writing, I'm more of the opinion that he was just being spiteful at the fact the US got there first. Whatever you do, don't buy his M.52 book, its nothing but rubbish from one cover to the other.

Miles M.52 and the X-1 - again!