PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School methods and landings
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2021, 20:03
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
Just out of interest - how many landings are people getting in a lesson? I learned in the US where I could do 10-12 touch and goes an hour if it wasn't busy. Then I flew in the UK where there were was very little "pattern work" just a couple of landings at the end of a lesson.
​​​​​
You raise a good point. I found it tended to be much the same here, with landings more of a peripheral to the main thrust of a typical lesson.

As they're the more interesting part of flying (to me) I would often spend time just doing tight 600 ft circuits within the aerodrome confines whenever it wasn't busy. That way, particularly in a slow a/c (usually a Cub), one could maximise the number of landings per hour. If it's possible for the OP, and anyone else with landing issues, this may be worth trying.

I also recall spending time with others going over landings on a 'simulator'. I was interested in the transference of learning from such devices (studied it at postgrad level) and built a full-size FTD for the school. I was surprised, and gratified, to find that careful work with this did assist some people, particularly with cross-wind techniques. So it could be worth trialing such work if your school has a reasonable FTD - not, I hasten to add, just a computer in the corner with a mouse/keyboard and M$ FS on it!