PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI 757 Retirements
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2021, 11:57
pax britanica

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Strange how aircraft get remembered and there is a big contrast between the 757 and its big brother the 767. From the outside the 76 seemed to me the dullest aircraft ever made but it was very economical and if you got the two window seats in the 2-3-2 formation one of the most comfortable trips in Y class . 75 on the other hand with its slow landing speed and cute nose configuration looked and sounded great from the outside .

Unlike some I enjoyed flying on the 75 , only went on 300 once, Icelandair, and i have to admit most of my trips were in business, including the 300 in which case it was fine , I also loved the take off performance when on board , that tremendous growl as the 524s spooled up and crossing the far end of LHR 27L at what seemed like 3000 ft . Or a windshear prompted GA at Kindley Field, Bermuda in a AA 75 which literally rocketed back into the sky. I understand that they were designed for a common type rating and the flight decks had an almost identical layout . A BA pilot friend said the main difference was you stepped up on the FD on a 76 and down on a 75 . I imagine the overall differences were minimal but do not recall 767s which I have flown on a lot on short haul as well as long haul had anything close to the 757s take off performance. Sad they should end their days in the hideous DHL colours they always looked pretty cool in most of the majors schemes

PB