PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School methods and landings
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2021, 08:29
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Just out of interest - how many landings are people getting in a lesson? I learned in the US where I could do 10-12 touch and goes an hour if it wasn't busy. Then I flew in the UK where there were was very little "pattern work" just a couple of landings at the end of a lesson.

Regarding learning to land from a book - anyone who's read Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy will know that the secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground - and then miss. Pretty much the same applies to landing a plane.
Hence why you can think of landing as a two stage process: an initial roundout to level flight a few feet above the runway, followed by a flare to keep that height, bleeding off speed as the nose comes up. Once you know the nose wheel is higher than the mains, just hold that attitude and let aerodynamics do the rest.
I found using a long runway and an extra 10+ knots really smoothed my landings out, because it made the whole process a lot longer. I basically practiced the float, then brought the speed back.
​​​​​

Last edited by Pilot DAR; 30th Sep 2021 at 10:51. Reason: typo