PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Creeping Jesus" Approach
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2021, 04:04
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
'megan' & 'sycamore' have jogged me memory somewhat. I reckon both Point Cook & Laverton have the chevrons as suggested 'if you have not landed before them by now then go around'. Both these airfields were used by new WINJEEL pilots with some doing some weird landings initially. Even in the CT4 days at Point Cook the chevrons were in use (I think Laverton had closed by then perhaps).

'asturias56' got the creepy jeebus idea correct methinks. It descrcribes a LOW SLOW flapless landing [do the LIMBO 'how low can you go?'] that would not be for the faint hearted because it would be BAD. 'megan' would know R/W 03 at NAS Nowra having a well cleared fairly level under run. One of my few HAIRY landings in a Sea Venom was carried out there on a hot windless hot day in 1969. I got too smart attempting to land on the numbers in a flapless approach but got LOW & SLOW & UNDERPOWERED to have a heart stopping full power throttle bash that probably kept me from touching down in the dirt and I full stopped instead of doing a roller (telling ATC as I did it). They shirley would have wondered about the dust cloud but on this occasion & AFAIK did not report me. :-) The nose up attitude was high indeed making viewing the runway that much more difficult. (Deck Landing necessitated a low 400 feet tight circuit with thankfully the ball in the mirror being visible about halfway round base, with the Observer calling the airspeed in one knot increments in the RAN SEA Venom Mk.53. That was not my experience flying solo when they did not embark in 1969. Graphic from 805 line book.