PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What the....
Thread: What the....
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2021, 21:40
cuddieheadrigg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the....

OK - so - I will probably just be opening myself up to ridicule here - but - 10 mins ago I opened the back door to let the dog out. I then switched the outside light off but had to wait while the dog decided it had heard something....

Looking up at the night sky (clear with the rising moon at my 1 o clock - back of house faces north), at my 11 o clock, I thought I was seeing a departing aircraft lights shining through a cloud (i.e. expanding 'V' Shape with the point (with very prominent light source) nearest me. I then realised the light was not moving (I have seen thousands of aircraft over the years taking all sorts of lines), for all the world this looked like a comet, or the apollo 'TLI' shots from earth. I called my missus who also saw the view.
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/20...test.sav-hilde

The above image of a missile test in the US is not a million miles from what I've just seen, except the orientation was more 'source of light' toward me: 'tail' of light was more pronounced - sharper and more defined (duller in middle then brighter) with a definite 'edge'. Light source much brighter. After about two minutes of appearing more or less stationery, the light dissipated and the 'cloud' or tale dropped below the horizon to the north at about a fifth of the original brightness (initially the source of the light was very bright).

Anyone know of any reasonable explanation?