PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC across the Atlantic 1956
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2021, 18:02
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
I was very lucky to find the chart. Wandered into the shop completely by accident. Found the chart only because I noticed part of the word BOAC sticking out of the pile of stuff in a bookcase in a dark corner.
Fortunately it was sandwiched between 2 sheets of glass and is not faded so someone had taken good care of it.The shop manager could provide no further information.
It has been fun trying to find out more info.
Now how would a document, dealing with a flight to the UK from NY in 1956 end up in a shop located in Montreal in 2021?
I assume it was kept as a souvenir by a passenger, perhaps a child. Perhaps some well heeled family from Montreal who started their journey from here.
Such a routing was not uncommon even for folks travelling by sea. Travel by train or plane to NYC then onwards via air or ship to the UK.
FYI for those interested in sea travel I highly recommend the book “Captain of the Queens” by Captain Harry Grattidge who commanded both Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary during the time retiring in Dec 1953. He had a very interesting career. A very good read.

Oh well, it has a good home now, and will end up eventually, along with various books, paintings and other aviation stuff, in a local Air Museum of which I am a member.
https://www.ville.sainte-anne-de-bel...viation-museum

Thanks to those contributing more information.

Last edited by albatross; 25th Sep 2021 at 18:03. Reason: Punctuation