PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Moving to US
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2021, 12:35
Kenny

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaro
Thanks Kenny, about Atlas is because long time away from home? why is different to Fedex/UPS?
And as some you already mentioned I apply and see what happens.
Like everywhere else in the world there are different “tiers” of airlines. I’m going to try to diplomatic and generic here but I’ll probably upset someone and I’m sure others will disagree. For the most part, Legacy airlines like United, Delta and American are considered to be at the top of the pyramid when it comes to where you want to get to. Then Southwest and JetBlue and Horizon followed by Frontier, Spirit….etc. You get the overall idea.

The same applies to the Cargo carriers. FedEx and UPS are at the top. Then Atlas followed by the rest. My friends at FedEx and Atlas have told me that the difference are the FedEx schedules. At Atlas you can be away from home for up to 18 days a month with days off, on the road. So, not really a fit for some one with small kids or a wife, they actually like.

Let me just say before there are howls of “But, but, but”. For some Southwest is a far better fit than a legacy and considered a much more desirable place to go. Also, in no way am I suggesting that if you go to any other airline than a legacy, you’re somehow not as good. We all have our requirements and you go where you want and where you get an interview.

Last edited by Kenny; 25th Sep 2021 at 12:57. Reason: Not enough caffeine.