PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fun when I was a student...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 13:51
Ninthace

Received 957 Likes on 566 Posts
Check ride in a glider with the CFI. Having got me very low among the trees on a Chilterns ridge, the back seat gives me control and asks me what I am going to do about it. "Head back to the airfield 250 ft ago. " apparently was not the required response.

Similar thing on a very long ridge in Germany. It isn't going well, the ridge is only working marginally, suddenly we come across a quarry. As we flop in, back seat says, "I hope they don't use dynamite in here". After many beats back and forth trying to work our way out again, the back seat pipes up. "On the other hand, if they don't use dynamite, we could be here all day."
Finally we get free and scuttle back whence we came along the ridge, which now seems to only be working halfway up. I am almost past the bird strike stage and getting close to the squirrel strike stage so I am beginning to think the fields at the bottom of the ridge have a certain rustic charm. Suddenly the back seat decides to contribute once more.
" 'Ere have you seen our shadow?"
Pregnant silent pause.
" 'Tain't half big!"

They say the art of good instructing is knowing when to intervene, he had more faith in me than I did. For the record we got back with just enough for a quarter of a circuit.