PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fun when I was a student...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 13:36
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
A few years when I was doing a biannual check on a well-known pilot in a Yak 52. I as usual made a little preparation for the unexpected.
It was autumn time and I had checked with a local strip that we could land there if we needed to.
Obviously the trip had gone well and I had got the unknowing pilot into a position where we could safely land off a practice engine failure should he spot the previously mentioned strip.
And that’s exactly what happened......
He spotted the strip, positioned for a PFL and then opened up for the go-around and nothing happened ! Immediately he selected flaps up, delayed the gear extension and we landed quietly, and flapless, on the 600 metre runway. There was no one else around so we waited for 10 minutes, started up with no problems, did a full power check and returned to our base airfield.
Yep, you got it in one.
Autumn - cold - damp - high humidity - little carb ice prevention/clearance with appropriate selection on a YAK 52/M14P engine in the glide, even with regular engine warming.

Moral - never assume...........

PS. I wouldn’t have dared to “fail” an engine on any of my instructors. Arrogance ? How the world has changed.

Last edited by Sleeve Wing; 22nd Sep 2021 at 14:23.