PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Exams
Thread: PPL Exams
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2003, 18:52
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the answer re FAA exams (though if you ended up doing the JAA course you could take the exams at any local flying school, even if going on to do the flying overseas), but whilst you are purchasing your basic textbooks (the Thom series, the Pratt series, or their US equivalents) you mght want to add to your list David Robson's book on aerobatics. I don't say this just because of your interest in aeros, as in my opinion the introductory parts of Robson's book include some very helpful stuff on aircraft manoeuvering, of value during the PPL generally. A lot of people recommend Alan Cassidy's aeros book, which is certainly very good on the competition approach to the discipline Get both or have a look at both and decide which style you prefer. Neil Williams' classic book on the subject is more discursive and partly autobiographical in approach, but belongs on the shelf of anyone interested in aerobatic flying: maybe one to buy in the future. Lastly, I know you're on a budget, but books are amongst the cheapest items of flying paraphanelia, and another classic worth a look is "Stick and Rudder" by Langewische. It's certainly an antidote to the worthy but inevitably somewhat stolid presentation of the basic textbooks.