PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A-5 Vigilante Spin
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2021, 14:43
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It appears the A-4 had enough aileron adverse/proverse yaw capability to assist the rudder in slowing the rotation. They only offer the adverse yaw input in the A-5, aileron with the spin, apparently because that initial stick aft input assures an upright (erect ) spin. Positive versus any chance of negative G.

The poor A-4 guy has to decide whether he's attempting recovery from an upright or inverted mode before inputting ailerons. Air Force just begged the question and turned everything into a upright spin prior to subsequent control inputs. KISS.

T-37 straight wing didn't have a lot of aileron adverse/proverse yaw capability to counter rotation, so rudder was it, but I don't how many times I've seen students (and new IPs occasionally) initially misinterpret the spin direction in the inverted maneuver prior to transition to erect and even occasionally in the upright spin and jam in the wrong rudder. Turn needle is your friend.

I wonder how long the Nav/Bomb guy in the RCP with the little porthole window would have stayed with an A-5 in a spin while the pilot attempted that recovery procedure?