PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF mandates Vaccine
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2021, 00:05
43Inches

Received 428 Likes on 235 Posts
Pre covid the flu killed thousands of people each season. My 84 yr old mum would probably fall off the perch if she caught the flu. I would get the flu jab every year. Never heard a mass cry in the public for everyone to get vaccinated to save other people for catching the flu...........
I think you have missed the message repeated thousands of times that the whole point of lockdown and vaccination was to reduce the mortality and severity of covid to flu levels, not to eradicate it. Covid can not be eradicated, but we have managed to control it so far to keep the death rate just above annual flu rates with lockdown, and now vaccines will take over as the primary control as things open up. 2019 was a bad season for flu in Australia and around 900 died from it, in a season with little to no intervention. 2020 led to 900 deaths of covid WITH controls and intervention, that number would be at least 3 times higher with no controls in place, possibly factors of ten as the aged care sector was not prepared for it at the time. If covid can be kept to flu levels or less, hospitals can cope, if not, good luck, you have the USA situation.

Thankfully the same precautions that limit covid almost stop flu dead in it's tracks so we don't have two viruses attacking our respiratory system at once, (they are different viruses by the way).

Last edited by 43Inches; 20th Sep 2021 at 00:15.