PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parking Brake Post RTO
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2021, 23:07
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having seen some operators do some horrible things with braking after landing - and the associated brake temperatures increasing during taxi in - I am convinced there is no way brakes could bind in the two minutes or so it would take to decide if a vacate or an evac is the next step after questionably the "worst case" RTO - high speed, max weight, runway limited, Engine Fire indication that doesn't go out.
From that it was always my intention that should a RTO occur on line once fully stopped I would park the brake.

Interesting that most times we are to "sit on our hands" and make sure about identifying problems correctly yet during an RTO we are "expected" to immediately decide whether an evac may be required - surely the priority should be to ensure a successful RTO (arguably one of the most/more stuffed up exercises in the SIM by all accounts), correctly assess and identify the problem then act accordingly.

Negative training IMHO, as open to personal interpretation greatest "threat" was to make sure in the SIM you did what the checker expected/would accept simply to get the tick in the box and get the hell out of there.
Cheers.