PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2021, 06:41
rattman

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dagenham
Gents

Two quick questions for those far more in the know than I ?

1. I note China announced last week they had made small nuclear reactors that were cooled by salt. I seem to remember reading mr clancy’s finest that the fastest subs in the world, the akula class have small sodium cooled reactors? So wonder if China is about to up its game there?

2. Didn’t Australia have a very bad experiences with thier french attack helicopters? Coupled with all the security breaches in the french sub company and issues they have get these subs into service in France I guess it a case of fool me one same on you fool me twice shame on me ?
Yes the tiger had issues with toxic fumes in the cockpit which the french and german did not have even though the tigers were built in france. Airbus pacific were unable to determine was causing it so as far as I know its never been resolved. Also big issues with the engines and gearbox, basically airbus up the service cost and halved the time between services. They have to be sent to france. The same issue with the MRH-90. Know someone who is a part of the squadron, can take 12 months to get an engine serviced. Theres a gearbox that has been in france for almost 18 months