PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL Graduates... no jobs?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2021, 04:26
Possum1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with all previous about getting a second well-paid job or qualification. One that hasn't been mentioned is school teaching(I think). I presume you have some sort of Bachelor of Science degree with your CPL. Schools are at the moment screaming out for STEM teachers. A qualification you would need here in Queensland is a Masters of Education(2 years) There are many deals to considerably shorten this to 15 months or less or to get you in front of a class being paid while you qualify. There are also scholarships, grants and subsidies that you may qualify for. You can then use your qualification at any location in the country while you look for a flying job.

If, in the future, you don't want to leave the big smoke, there is here in Brisbane, for example, a huge amount of casual relief/supply teaching work in primary schools because the full-time teachers are so exhausted and burnt out that they are taking their maximum sick days in order to survive to the end of another term. I am semi-retired. My wife and I do as much relief teaching as we need to keep our plane in the air etc. We mind another teacher's class for 5 hours at $83 an hour and go home at 2.45 - 3.00p.m. for a 5-6 hour day with $415 gross for a bit of chalk and talk. On Friday afternoons, we often drive straight to the airport, hop in our plane and fly off early to a weekend away. Think about it.

I am sure Kununurra Primary Schools need relief teachers, although you might find the school day a pretty wild ride!