PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting from CASA to CAA
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2021, 17:18
Kalo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting from CASA to CAA

After a long period of not flying since I got my PPL from Australia where I used to live, I have decided to get back into flying in the UK. I obviously want to convert rather than do it from scratch so as to save some money. I have tried to research on the process but the CAA website seems rather unclear on what I need to do. After some email exchanges with CAA what I gathered is that I need to pass the written exams in Air Law and Human Performance, pass the skill test (during which I need to pass the language proficiency, and finally to have completed at least 100 hours of flight time as a pilot (total time including what I had done in Australia).

My question is, has anyone done the paperwork without the help of a flying school? My local flying clubs don't have experience in helping students convert licences, and my worry is that what looks like a simple process may not actually be. Is there anything obvious that I have missed? Is it really a good idea to deal with this myself at all or should I commute to flying schools with experience to make sure it is done correctly?

Any insights would be appreciated.