PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NETJETS Europe hiring again
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2021, 17:40
5strypes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redsnail
G'day Winged Lion,

I think I was within the first 1,000 members. Definitely the first female pilot. Seen lots of changes over the years....

Toilet? Definitely. There is one. If you need to use it, you use it. You also clean it It is a good opportunity to see how the pax are. Folks on the Hawker used to dread the stuck bung... (The Hawker's no longer with NetJets).

Downsides? Well, the old saying "one person's poison is another person's cake" definitely rings true. Airlining is a chore but it is what it is. Fortunately being at a London gateway means I don't do that much airlining. A colleague put me onto the Apple Airtags so I can track my luggage. Others don't bother checking theirs in. Also, I have a secondary role now so that has cut down on the line flying a bit but it's another string to the ol' bow. Some people just never adapt to the constant changes. Fair enough. At first it is a lot to absorb. Ever changing hotels can be an issue for some. While sometimes you "win" and can go and explore a new and interesting city, often in Summer you'll be just keen to scoff some food and get some sleep. In some cases, the hotel is "so so" but the location is great and you're spoiled for choice re dinner.
Loading/unloading luggage is probably the thing I don't like. Forget standard 20kg weights. The space is often awkward and there is high potential to injure your back.

Some folks can be "size-ist". If someone thinks "bigger is better" well, they'll be disappointed. (Trying very hard to avoid any double entendres. And failing). Sure the Global is big but it's tiny compared to B787 But while they go to some great places, the jet lag's a bitch and it'll take over an hour to "close" the aeroplane. Long after the Excel folks have left the airport.

Essentially, if you're a glass half full sort of person, you'll enjoy the job. Compared to an airline job, you'll have a lot more autonomy and authority to get stuff done. Compared to a "true" private jet job, we're very well looked after with very good support from the office in Lisbon. (If the support isn't there for some reason, see the previous sentence, you are armed with a credit card after all).

If folks like routine, eg run 3x a week, weights 2x a week and golf with the family on Sunday, this job won't really work for them. Happily, we get our roster published 2 months in advance so you can plan your days off. There is flexibility too, you can request specific days off with enough notice.
I've made some lifelong friends at NJE. Probably some mortal enemies too, but hey ho, can't win them all.
Can't thank you enough for the wealth of information. I'm in a balance between trying to gather as much information and trying not to get too invested should it lead to nothing. Looking forward to the process and it certainly sounds like a positive place to be and somewhere I'd be happy to leave my current airline for.