PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medals Found on Nottinghamshire Golf Course
Old 17th Sep 2021, 09:09
Davef68

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Union Jack
I rather like both of Mog's suggestions and, having only had time for a brief look at some alphabetical editions of the Navy List for the last two years of WWII, and at the London Gazette, I haven't come across an A J Scott other than a Schoolmaster with no DSC listed, although that of course could have come later.
The DSC was a naval award, but could be issued to Army or RAF personnel serving at sea. If it's a post-1940 award it should have the year engraved on the reverse

I had a look at the Gazette too (although their searching appears to be poorer than last time I looked there) - i did find an Arthur James Scott, but he was an RAF officer, and it was just in the appointments listing.

A search of the CWGC site found two casualties of Surname Scott with the DSC, but one was killed too early in the War to receive the France/Germany clasp. The other was an RNVR pilot who was killed in 1944, but his DSC was sold at auction in 2020, and he would have been entitled to the Africa Star

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archiv...lot_uid=370204

I suspect 'our' A J Scott must be a relative of the recipient of the illustrated medals (My suspicion would be the person who had the medals mounted and put in the presentation case) so the surname may not be that of the recipient

Last edited by Davef68; 17th Sep 2021 at 09:27.