PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2021, 23:13
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Several years ago I asked here why Australia was not acquiring nuclear boats from the US - and was roundly mocked by many on the forum who thought they knew better.
Well, time seems to be proving me right.
I think this is an excellent decision... more detail awaited with great interest.
And I hope that somewhere in Canberra - someone is lobbying to get some B-21s as well.

Yep - the Greens have started to whine already:"I also do think that it is attempting to gain a beachhead for a nuclear industry in Australia, which we know has been something that the Coalition, many people in the Coalition have been pushing for, for some period of time.

But at the end of the day, the prime minister needs to explain – what will happen if there’s an accident with a nuclear reactor now in the heart of one of our major cities?

How many people in Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth will die as a result of it?

What is going to happen if there is a problem with one of the nuclear reactors? And today we’ve heard nothing about the safety.
Well, these will be floating Chernobyls in the heart of our major cities. And it will increase tensions in our region at a time when Australia, as a middle power, should be taking an independent course and doing everything that we can to de-escalate conflict in the region."