PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My US regional now wants pilots from overseas.
Old 15th Sep 2021, 01:54
cLeArIcE

Received 180 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
AAG,

I'm pretty sure anyone who has lived in another country that isn't originally their "own" understands what I meant by it.

Yes, the US&A is a proud country made up of immigrants, just like Australia BUT I'm simply basing this on my own personal experience of having lived here, as I said, for over 20 years. There are little, almost insignificant things and some far bigger. The small range from why can't I get decent bacon or bread to how on earth can anyone in their right mind enjoy PBJ sandwiches. I think most Americans would say the same of vegemite sandwiches, which are a gift from God, as far as I'm concerned. The fact that if I pronounce tomato like tomato and not tomAYto, I get a blank stare and the really odd one; If I don't pronounce my own name the American way, people think it's something completely different. Nothing is perfect and as I said these are all small things that just remind you every so often, it's not your birth country. It doesn't in any way mean I don't appreciate the US for all the good contained within its shores; I have met some of the most intelligent, generous, and kind people here, and it's given me an opportunity that simply no other country can provide.

Hopefully, you understand the context in which I meant my comment to be taken.
Haha glad it wasn't just me. I Would literally loose my mind over how disgusting bread and bacon was over there. But, if I see any brisket or pulled pork etc on menu in Aus, I know it won't compare to those Kanas City over nights...
To anyone thinking about it, it will never feel 100% like home but,
​​​​​​ if you are sitting on the fence, just do it. Great experience that you'll never get in Aus. Just have an end plan that doesn't involve flow through or majors. You will learn to fly from real pilots, in real weather, with real terrain and have fun doing it. Unfortunately, It will make the oztranaughts more unbareable if you come back