PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Backflip?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2003, 09:08
Buckshot

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Qantas Backflip?

The 737 vs A320 debate is certainly nothing new to these forums, but it seems to me that Geoff Dixon is the most confused of them all when it comes to deciding which is better.

When Qantas placed the 737-800 in to service in February last year, Geoff was quoted as saying:

"The 737 family answered all of our questions. We were attracted by its economics, the ease of integration with our existing fleet of 38 Boeing 737s, and indeed by its advanced technology. The capability of the 737-800 will increase our flexibility to improve service and frequency over a wide range of destinations."

Qantas ran a side-by-side comparison and extensive testing of the Boeing 737-800 and a United A320 demonstrator at Sydney Airport.

"This competition has been a tough evaluation by a very experienced airline," said Seddik Belyamani, executive vice president, Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "You will never find a more level playing field than the tarmac at the Sydney Airport last week."

Qantas lined up the two competing aircraft, ran through all the figures, and then chose the 737 airplane, Belyamani said.

However, I notice today Geoff has the following to say of Qantas' choice of the A320 to run its JetStar operation.

"As you might expect, economics played a big role in our choice of the A320. We liked the competitive edge and its modern design and more comfortable cabin..."

Can someone explain to me the complete turn around in thought at Qantas - what has changed in just over a year to make the A320 better than it was in February '02?