PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 101 Squadron Op Granby (Gulf War I) statistics
Old 13th Sep 2021, 07:56
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I did a quick calculation using Excel and the numbers on that insert do not match up completely, but they're pretty close:
  • Adding the Day and Night hours gives 1359 hours 20 mins
  • Adding up all the hours for the different airframes comes to 1352 hours 45 mins
It should be exactly the same I guess, but it's not a massive difference in the whole scheme of things.
Adding up all the sortie numbers for the different airframes I get a total of 382 sorties, which is a lot less than the 981 sorties from BEagle's RAF Yearbook. Perhaps the Yearbook total includes all the flights carried out while this just lists the sorties where fuel was dispensed to aircraft engaged in combat operations. In his VC10 bookazine from 2015, Stephen Skinner mentions that the VC10Ks flew 381 sorties during OP GRANBY, dispensing 6000 tonnes of fuel with 100% serviceability. That is pretty close to the numbers I'm seeing on this overview. In his article for Air-Britain's AeroMilitaria about the VC10's RAF career, John McCrickard lists 381 sorties, nearly 1,400 flying hours and almost 8,000 tonnes of fuel dispensed. I will see if I can check some other books and magazines, but that is all secondhand information of course.