PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (CASA + AsA) / NAS = Big Brother
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2003, 07:21
Manwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tobzalp,

unless I'm mistaken VFR are still encouraged to listen out on an appropriate frequency, so hearing is still a valid point. Sure, they are not required to talk, unless of course, there is a valid requirement to respond to an IFR aircraft making a report in their immediate vicinity. But yes, it is up to us. Don't you feel empowered and validated by that courageous delegation of responsibility?

Four Seven Eleven

Thanks for your concise and incisive post. You have illustrated perfectly what I was trying to say regarding the futility of trying to inform those who will not see. You have the potential for a great career in tabloid journalism.

RTB RFN

You're right, I do have a closed mind about this. Why, because I've been over it many times before and the result still comes out the same. The difference is that I have analysed the concept thoroughly, had I simply agreed with the collective wisdom of the time I wouldn't have needed to do that.

By the way, I will be happy to accept the full responsibility for any mid-air collisions that occur under the NAS provided,-

a) it can be proven that neither aircraft was in a position to see the other in VMC, whether due to their excessive closing speeds or otherwise,and

b) they were adhering to hemispherical levels, and

c) someone did not simply stuff up.

No amount of regulation or ATC service will prevent accidents due to error. Check the mid-air stats and you'll see that too many occurred in CTA under Air Traffic Control.

By the way, it's interesting that you mentioned MIL flying. Why do you think their training is of such a high quality? Is it because they are required to do aerobatics, low level, and formation? Each of these operations requires an exceptionally high amount of head outside, do all three together and you will know how to fly.

Perhaps you have some MIL time, if so, how can you possibly disagree with the NAS? By the way, I do have a little, but that's not how I became convinced about see and avoid. In other words, I was not brainwashed in there either.

And finally Spodman,

Perhaps you would be interested to hear of a recent incident just after 27/11 where I spoke into my dusty mike thrice with no reply from the Saab that taxied on, backtracked, and lined up while I was still on the runway. They finally replied with " Yeah we heard you but we were copying traffic on the other frequency"!

All the way from the parking bay?

Gotta go now, things to do, mikes to dust, you know how it is...

Life's a bitch, and then you fly!

Last edited by Manwell; 19th Dec 2003 at 08:00.