PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aeralis Modular Trainer
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2021, 17:07
Foghorn Leghorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
I will get in there quick before FL explodes. You’re right with much of what you say but I must take issue with some of it.

You are describing the FJ WSO skill set as if it is something a FJ pilot cannot do.

All current FJ pilots are basically dual (or even triple)-roled. They have been that way for some time now.

So, whilst I agree that many traditional piloting exercises of manual tanking and take offs and landings etc may disappear I think the future human in a manned platform (I struggle to see why we are committing fully to the manned route though to be honest) will still be more akin to a current FJ pilot than an historical FJ WSO.

BV
Exactly what you said, BV. I have no idea my LJ seems to be dogmatically fixated on a WSO being what you need when a Typhoon/F35 pilot is doing what a legacy WSO did on top of the flying they’re doing.

I’ll say it again, we won’t see it in our lifetime where gestures are used to control an aircraft in an IOC or FOC capacity. I think you’re missing the point LJ, the technology to do what you’ve pointed out has been around for longer than you think, it still hasn’t come to fruition.

Nobody is arguing about the EFT-BFT-AFT path either. I don’t actually think anyone knows at the moment what they want or what it’ll look like. We’re at a crossroads in terms of technology and what will be required to train people.

Interesting to note the USAF has gone for the Red Hawk, a high performance trainer.

Amusingly, I think we are all singing off the same hymn sheet - Aeralis is an anachronism and certainly isn’t the answer for the future.