PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL Graduates... no jobs?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2021, 01:26
mikewil

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by compressor stall
There will be huge demand in a year to 18 months - barring no post Delta variant wreaking havoc.

Soon after, there will be a pilot shortage the like of which we have never seen before.
I doubt it will be quite like you say, well there might be a shortage of type rated jet pilots who are also current.

There will be no shortage of CPL graduates looking for work. If anything, this will be worse than it's ever been. All the graduates that the sausage factories/universities are pumping out every year, will still be looking for entry level charter/instructor jobs only there will be 3+ years worth of them. The ones who got their qualifications at the beginning of the COVID disaster will be in a far worse position because they will not be very current unless they have spent a lot of extra money keeping hours up and ratings current.

I am in the above lousy situation, only I am in my early 30s with shocking timing twice. Finished my CPL during the global financial crisis so was unable to find charter work at the time so decided to do 'menial work' for a few years to keep the money coming in. Became a bit complacent and that became 10 years so decided at the end of 2019 that it was time to have another go because instructors were in huge demand so left what was a stable and relatively well paid job to do my instructor rating only for COVID to hit half way through, when most flying schools started laying off huge numbers of their instructors.

I cannot believe that even in the current climate, many sausage factories have instructor courses that are full. Obviously we have VET fee help to thank for this. I paid for my instructor rating outright, and sure wouldn't have spent money on it had I known what was coming.

Amazing how easy it is to sell a dream to suckers even with huge debt involved, with the "no consequences" carrot of not having to pay anything back until you are earning a certain amount.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I took risks at the wrong times and have to be responsible that they didn't pay off. Hoping that things pick up a bit in the next few years and I'll be able to have another crack.