PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2021, 15:05
DroneDog

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I hope Hill helicopters do get to produce this, I remember reading some of Hill helicopters thoughts on current designs and I agree with him certainly on the interiors. They are a bit agricultural, having watched countless videos on various types the turbine start-up procedures seem a bit quirky and 1970s. The contortionist position, leaning over to twist the throttle on the collective whilst hold in a button watching temp gauges etc.
If cars were based on helicopter design I'd still be setting my ignition timing manually as I drove.
In some older machines, the instrument binnacle looks like someone threw the instruments at it randomly and yes I appreciate pilots have a system of scanning the gauges but I frequently see a mishmash and large wasted areas on many machines.

One modern machine I really like, well given its price point is the Bell 505. Its interior and instrument cluster are so elegant and functional, the turbine start up procedure is very 2020, just one control and let the dual Fadecs do there thing and the simple switch on the collective, Idle or Fly, surely that's were helicopter design should be.

On Hill Helicopters FB page there are some great renderings showing very modern interiors, the instrument cluster looks as if it has been lifted straight from a German luxury wagon, an Audi A7 or a large Merc and why not, the technology is there today. I hope they are successful and perhaps it will kick start a change in the industry.
You can probably guess I am not a pilot ( I did not have the money) but I have flown in many types for business, if my fortunes improve a PPL is on my list.