PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2021, 14:49
Richard Dangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Routine police stop in modern Kabul…
Ten minutes work with Google Images and you'll find worse for NI during the troubles; I'm not posting any because I'm not here to start a fight just to make a personal point or two.

Posting and commenting on the image is pretty indicative (to me) of a prevelant view of many in Western society, that we have a right (and possibly even a duty) to impose our values, our beliefs, our society all over the globe.

Personally I disagree, and always have. Both on the grounds that "our" way is the defacto the only right way (I doubt it) and even if it is, that somehow gives us the right to dictate to those that don't believe in our way of life.

I''ve held that view for as long as I can remember, and I'm 65 next month. That does not translate that I agree with any form of society...my view of much of what passes for society in many parts of the globe would be considered unprintable in most media channels. It merely translates that the belief that "we the chosen nations" can guide/shepard/force the rest to the promised land of liberal, free market democracy is (IMO) bull.

I's also like to point out another belief...if any nation on Earth wants to work towards whatever form of freedom they concieve, they need to pay the price. Just a few days ago, aware of my passion for history, my wife bought me an anniversary gift - a largely pictorial book on US Civil War battle sites. Here's an quote from the intro "All these sites are well worth a visit. They provide a stark reminder that freedom is not free". It's not meant to be an intellectual quote; it just neatly, and without judgment, somes up my personal view and the view of many who have served.

I know a little of both International Relations and History at the academic level. In the big picture I doubt the Taliban "victory" will much change the course of Jihad. Something I believe the West kicked off a thousand years ago, but I agree that viewpoint may be highly debateable. The point is religious fundamentalism is going to be around for centuries to come (or until we finish off Planet Earth, whichever comes sooner) and I don't see the recent events in Afghanistan making a whole load of difference in the big picture.

Ironically though, although I'll hold my hand up and say I never thought we should have gone in post 9/11 in the way did (either in Afghanistan or Iraq) and I was vocal at the time, I believe in having done so we have left behind a hornets nest for the Taliban to deal with...which I doubt they will succeed with (and judging by his barely concealed half-smile on The Andrew Marr Show, CDS agrees with me).

Since I've taken the time to post this...two more thoughts:

Heartfelt thanks to the guys and girls from all nations who has served their countries, and made many sacrifices, in theatre. We owe you so much.

And my heart goes out to all the people in Afghanistan who are being dragged backwards into this medieval quagmire. May fortune and fortitude lead you to a better place.

Last edited by Richard Dangle; 8th Sep 2021 at 15:01.