PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aeralis Modular Trainer
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2021, 17:44
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Muppet

I would dearly love to be proven wrong but I just don’t buy it.

Claims like 5000+ units to be sold are frankly ludicrous but let’s have a proper think about it.

Where is the market for such an aircraft?

If it’s to be a trainer then all the nations who would be likely to buy in bulk already have a new trainer either in service or in the pipeline (Hawk, M346, T50, Redhawk).

Hawk, for instance, has been in service for nearly 50 years in one guise or another. There have been approximately 1000 made and distributed to various Air Forces around the world. That’s a long way off 5000+.

A few small orders aren’t going to pay the bills and who would want to be the launch customer for it?

So what if the Aeralis jet is to be a light attack fighter (let’s ignore the sub division of roles previously mentioned). I’m going to be generous and pick arguably the most ubiquitous fighter in the world, the F16, as a compariosn. There have been approximately 4600 of those built in almost 50 years. Even that is still short of 5000 and we can all agree the F16 is a great platform. The Aeralis jet will not be in the same league.

I am a current FJ instructor and I honestly don’t believe we will be using manned fighters for very much longer (I think I’m safe for the time being but I think the change will come in my lifetime). That kind of limits the use for jet trainers and light attack jets if I end up being proven correct.

The role change/common fuselage thing sounds like a neat trick but is it really necessary or just a gimmick?

I genuinely worry that it’s a bit like a Dragons Den pitch on steroids. Some good investment and some money in the pockets of a few savvy businessmen with a plausible design and a good sales pitch. But honestly, where is the market?

I’m sorry to be the Debbie Downer but I have seen nothing to convince me yet that it is a realistic proposition.

As I have said previously though, I would dearly love to be proven wrong and you’re all more than welcome to rub my nose in it if the project truly comes to fruition.

BV