PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment. Heads will roll!
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2021, 17:09
MG

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BATCO
PapaD
Thanks for response. You have correctly identified II Sqn RAF Regt as participating in operations in SL. However some of your detail is wrong.
II Sqn's first involvement came as part of a concurrent Op (MAIDENLY), with a Flt deploying just as 42 Cdo (follow-on force to Para/Gurkha BG) withdrew at the conclusion of the major intervention. We arrived by C130 (conventional landing).
The second involvement came a year or so later with the Sqn parachuting into Op SILKMAN to demonstrate the UK's ability to reinforce rapidly 'from over the horizon'.

I was honoured to have participated in both (PM me if you want to know my position/role).

Given the debate on whether Op PITTING should be recognised by a medal/clasp I might add that I missed the SL/OSM medal for MAIDENLY by one day and SILKMAN by several (and the days could not be added together). But I think PITTING should be recognised with the OSM with a 'PITTING' clasp.

Batco
the Maidenly OSM qualifying period was only the one day of the op - 15 July, as was the period for the later Barras. I remember it well as it was the day after my birthday, which was spent during a dreary night on an airfield in the middle of nowhere, waiting for the launch the next morning.