PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F100 - Overshot Runway at Newman Airport (9/1/2020)
Old 6th Sep 2021, 10:25
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
What is it for your type? You don't have to state what type you're on.

Landing is pretty standard: threshold at 50ft at VRef, 7 seconds to touch down then max braking with full reverse to a stop. What other things will make "15% an acceptable buffer" [your words]?
That's not the assumption that is being made with Airbus, Flysmart or not. The bog standard charts in the QRH have braking choices as being Low, Medium, Max Manual, and then you add or subtract for reversers (been a while, I think it’s subtract, so it assumes you don’t have them until you do).

Flysmart in the dispatch mode, does not take into account reverse or brake mode.

Flysmart in the inflight mode, let’s you choose these.

So when I have data that has a very specific set of circumstances in it to spit out a calculation, based upon the exact situation on the ground and using the exact braking options, why can’t I use 15%? 67% would be a huge overkill.

If I as a captain refused to land on a runway that was plenty long enough for the conditions at the time allowing for a 15% buffer, all because I said I wanted a 67% buffer, then they’d probably take me offline and ask me into the sim so I can prove that I can actually land the aircraft safely.