PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One down in Mexico
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2021, 07:20
Ant T

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RVDT
Returning to the thread for a second.

YT is littered with Mils doing this trick.

Natural selection?
It does seem to be a very typical Mil accident with endless examples caught on video.

I was looking through the Aviation Safety Network database, and counted around 1,200 Mil8/Mil17 written off in accidents!

Wikipedia does list the model as being the highest production helicopter ever, with “17,000+”, but even taking that into account it seems a huge number of crashes. I can’t imagine any other mass produced helicopter type comes close, as a proportion of airframes manufactured.

The Bell UH1 series production is listed on Wiki as “16,000+”, but the ASN database only shows about 700 of those written off (and that does seem to include the ones lost during the Vietnam war).

(Edit - does look as if the R44 rivals the Mil for proportion lost in accidents - don’t have time to count now, but at a quick look I think the number may be around 800 losses from 6,300+ produced …)

(Edit - had a better look now, and I count about 490 R44s listed on ASN as written off - disclaimer, this is not an accurate count (by me!)

Last edited by Ant T; 6th Sep 2021 at 22:41.