PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment. Heads will roll!
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2021, 07:06
PapaDolmio

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BATCO
I fully agree withe the sentiments expressed. Following the intervention in Sierra Leone in May 2000 (featuring many a picture of Gurkhas at Lungi with RAF C130 in background) the then AOC 2 Gp - Filbey, and CAS - Squire IIRC, visited RAF Honington (and II Sqn RAF Regt in particular - at that moment the lead readiness FP sqn). They both said they were highly embarrassed that the RAF Regt had not been involved and stated that this would never happen again.
It may be the case that the RAF Regt alone could not have fulfilled all of the ground component tasks on Op PITTING, but a properly constituted joint force, including an element from the RAF Regt, would have been the right response.

Batco
I suspect you might have hit it on the head with your last sentence- 16 AA would have been able to provide an integrated package of force elements as well as the fighting element and who are all based together and are used to working together?

RAF Reg did deploy to SL- 2 Sqn were there towards the end of the deployment. (Rough) Order of arrival in theatre (formed units).

Some strange Army bods
RAF SHF (7 and 27 Sqns), MAMs, LTW,TCW.
Para Reg
RM when HMS Ocean arrived.
2 Sqn RAF Regiment (I think they jumped in?) when Ocean sailed. Left us with airfield security provided by the UN- IIRC the Bangladeshi Battalion (BANGBAT) who didn't really inspire much confidence.

Apologies if I've missed anyone out!

We did see a Harrier once as well.