PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Regiment. Heads will roll!
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2021, 14:33
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Street
Not disagreeing with the sentiment, but there is an inherent contradiction in your post. The light blue might not like Wiggy's priorities, but if politicians and senior civil servants do then his chances of CDS might be better than assumed. Remember he was plucked from relative obscurity to be CAS by the same sort of people that influence the CDS appointment. If they continue to see him as their placeman, or if one of the other services can be persuaded that he would do them less harm than the third service's candidate, then I wouldn't write him off. They might look at who would be eligible next time round and judge that Wiggy offers too good an opportunity to get safely through another light blue CDS tenure while kicking the next one miles down the road. Also, VCDS and DCDS(MilCap) are arguably more valuable than CDS as posts to hold while laying the groundwork for a defence review, such as the next round of incumbents might have to.
And likewise, I don't disagree about the relative importance and advantages of the DCDS (Fin Mil Cap) and VCDS roles in steering the structures and composition of Defence. But DCDS is a 3-star appointment (AM Knighton currently in post) and VCDS is only part way through his tenure (Adm Tim Fraser since May 19) so there's a question of timings with Wigston at roughly the same point in his tenure. And whilst Wigston could take over from Fraser as VCDS, with the Indo-Asian pivot arguably being a predominantly RN effort, I can see them laying a claim to VCDS in order to get the development and modernisation of the Fleet sorted.

For what it's worth and at a slight risk of thread drift - but we're here now anyway - my money is on Gen Sanders. Same Regt as Carter - both Black Mafia. I believe Sanders was Carter's MA at some point and I forget which way round, but one is god father to the other's children. I'm also seeing a lot of Carter's CDS candidate playbook in Sanders' current behaviour and press engagement where as Wigston is conspicuously quiet. He is also very Light Blue which may play against him in Central circles if he is seen to be too parochial.

Anyway, back to the RAF Regt not defending airfields ...