PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F100 - Overshot Runway at Newman Airport (9/1/2020)
Old 4th Sep 2021, 10:25
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by neville_nobody
Those figures are off the Maximum Braking performance of the aircraft which you couldn't realistically use every sector as you would scare the pax and burn through parts. We're talking a carrier landing followed by standing on the brakes to a complete stop.

The real margin on 'normal' landing performance is much less than that as noone ever lands at maximum braking. Hence the 15% figure.
Ok, I’m not familiar with the workings of Fokkers performance calculations, but let’s use Airbus as an example, I’m very familiar with that.

Airbus has flysmart. In flysmart, you can select the surface condition, the auto brake settings, whether reverse is being used, lots of very specific information.

It punches out a calculation, and then it shows you the margin on top of it.

Why, when there is such specific information in the calculations, would I need to then throw on 67% more distance? You’re either in the touchdown zone or you’re not. And if you’re not, you go around.

It makes me worried to think people think you can’t land in the distance specified in the manuals

We’d never land in a lot of places if we needed such massive margins each time.