PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Periphery airports, no inland flights allowed
Old 1st Sep 2021, 01:25
iskavor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Periphery airports, no inland flights allowed

I know nothing of aviation, other than planes flying over my home.

I recall not long back that the PM (Johnson) was going to redraw the UK's flight paths, why I cannot be sure. However, I had always thought it a good idea, from a home owners point of view, to build airports all along the coast of the British isle, and not allow flights to criss-cross inland. I can imagine that would sound nonsensical to a great many enthusiasts here, but would like to know the practicalities of that please.

The advantage of train travel (when it works) is that it usually drops the passenger off in the middle of a busy area, or not far from it. Whilst at many large airports, passengers are dropped off in the middle of nowhere, or just very far away from where they need to be. The advantage of the idea of only allowing passenger planes to land on the periphery of the UK I see as the following:
  • No planes flying over peoples homes
  • Forces train infrastructure to pick up the slack, but also recieves many more paying customers
  • More new, smaller, airports to spread the pressure, also spreading money throughout the UK
  • Lower threat of terror attack

I would just like to know your thoughts thanks !