PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some truth about the ML incident
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2003, 21:59
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie Andy et al.

So the spin doctors have worked their magic, and you, supposedly a pilot, are using this spin as evidence that all is good? You either
1. Have no understanding of what is going on, including believing a jet on descent receiving an RA is no problem
2. Understand the situation but are stupid enough to believe the way the spin doctors have latched onto the wording of the report
3. Are going to be pro-NAS no matter what, and are disengenuous in your use of the report.

The problem is the media bytes have worked their magic, and the public in general will from now on see any further NAS criticism as"union scaremongering". The minister should be shot. I really can't wish a NAS related incident on him (he "flies a lot"), but........

It's going to be uphill from here, now. Facts won't help ****su-Tonka. Short of getting the DJ crew on telly and bagging the airspace, I can't see how the media (and public) can be turned (without a MAC).

Still shaking my head...........

Snarek (and anyone else even slightly pro-NAS).
The pilot of the C421 was unaware that his aircraft's transponder was not transmitting mode C
Now, this happens often. What if he had forgotten to turn his transponder on? This also happens often. Would have put a whole different complexion on this, don't you think? I mean
The pilot of the C421 later reported that he never saw the 737.
Isn't that the whole basis for NAS? The 737 pilots aquired the C421 with the aid of DTI and TCAS. They are trying to kill DTI, it is not even required to be passed to a VFR. Would DTI have benn available if there was no transponder at all? TCAS only works if the transponder works. With mode A only, would the TCAS have still issued an RA? Is it just me, or did the report gloss over that bit? How many jet pilots ignore TA-only alerts generated by what are presumed to be lighties on the deck, way below them?
For anyone who isn't an ATC, this is the bit that stings
It would have been difficult for the pilot of the C421 to assume responsibility for separation with the 737 while being radar vectored by ATC
So, are they saying that by vectoring outside CTA the controller assumes responsibility? Absolutely. So you can only muck the ones around you do have control of. ie the jets. Very efficient (not). ATCs are going to wear some of the **** when it goes wrong, no matter what.

Last edited by ferris; 18th Dec 2003 at 22:27.