PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2021, 04:08
Anti Skid On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
so what you are saying is you don’t accept any information that conflicts with yours as a ‘reliable’ source. I will ask you once again, what is you plan, if we get say 80% vaccination, is your solution we keep the borders closed and using lockdowns as we are to keep covid out forever........

I can’t see that we are better off, we are stuck in a level 4 lockdown when the rest of the world is moving on. My mates in the UK are back to flying full time, are taking holidays in Europe and the USA and their kids are back at school, they know that they won’t be locking down again so the certainty they have is much better than ours. Skaggs also said in his report it is unrealistic to think we can keep Covid out and at some point elimination will be a failed strategy, I am asking you what is your plan to prepare for this.

by the way, you realise those States that are asking for extra morgue space are having to do so because the vaccine uptake is so bad and the unvaccinated are getting very sick.
The plan is to get as close to 100% and then open the border, accepting only vaccinated people from countries where they have limited spread. That is exactly what we need to do; we cannot cope with a large outbreak. WE will open when WE are ready. It is also the model Australia and others will have.

We are only in lockdown because we had community transmission of delta variant; we have been in level 1 for 6 months; where I live I'll be in L3 at midnight and hopefully in L2 next week, and L1 soon after.

If Europe and the USA are so great, feel free to go there; if you remember, our kids have been at school for over 6 months without any issues and everyone has been living normally. Our GDP continues to grow https://www.stats.govt.nz/informatio...h-2021-quarter

As for our economy tanking and us borrowing so much; our debt to GDP ratio is currently around 24%; our GDP is US$20,000,000,000; which means we could borrow US$15,000,000,000 and still have less debt than the US, UK, Japan, France, etc.