PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to lay out roadmap for restart of international flights
Old 30th Aug 2021, 21:56
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
Can the feds open NSW for international travel whilst everyone else stays the covid zero course and stay in lockdown (Vic)?
I’m no expert on the legalities but I suspect that
once we reach 80% the feds will open the borders without quarantine to certain countries.

What the states then do (or try to do) will be up to them. Morrison has been arguing since day one (well, since first national cabinet) that quarantine facilities are a state responsibility.

I suspect NSW will open up in line with federal guidance. Other states (particularly WA, QLD, TAS, SA IF they’re still COVID-zero) will stay closed. Vic could swing either way depending on their COVID status at the time we hit 80%.

I think it’s quite feasible that NSW residents may be able to travel overseas before they can travel interstate. I think it’s also quite feasible that some tourists may arrive in Sydney and arrive on the QLD border in their bongo van a few weeks later asking themselves, “WTAF?”.

We’ll just have to see how it all plays out.