PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2021, 15:58
JFKvsNixon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
Let’s just remember that those (very brave) Paras (and other important personnel) and RAF crews deployed at short notice into an extremely dangerous situation.

Let’s also remember that we heard extensively in the last few months from the various Unions associated with the NHS about how they had put their lives on the line to save lives.

I absolutely agreed with the decision to give the NHS an increase on their initial 1% offer and I think 3% (given the financial situation of the UK is fair) is a pretty good deal.

Those Paras helped to save thousands of lives and the fact that they have no Union to represent them means they will see no reward for their bravery and must endure the public sector pay freeze.

I just thought I’d mention that.

BV
Let's put things into context for the healthcare professionals.

In the UK, more Healthcare professionals have died since the start of the pandemic than UK military personnel who died during Gulf War 1, Gulf War2 and the Afghanistan conflict combined..

In common with most conflicts, the number of deaths, only tells part of the story though. For example, I know of some nurses who were transferred from their relaxed jobs that they'd been doing for 10 years or more, to a highly stressful areas like intensive care and with minimal training, and then left to get on things. Again to put things into context, it usually takes a highly motivated qualified nurse a year or so to start to approach a level of competency that they can work independently, here you had people being moved with no notice and no choice and given a few hours training.

The effect that this had had on countless individuals cannot be understated, they'll never be the same people again.

As you've probably twigged, I have more than a passing interest in this area. I'm a health care professional who was moved to ITU from my job, and even though I had a high level of motivation to do my bit, nothing in my training and experience properly prepared me for it. From helping people say goodbye to their partners via an iPad prior to intubation in the knowledge that it could well be the last time that they'll ever talk to each other, to watching your colleagues who have become patients slowly deteriorate and die.

On top on this, I caught Covid earlier this year, developed pneumonia and became quite ill. 6 months on, now I struggle to work half the hours I used to. Prior to being ill, I'd compete in cycling events and it wouldn't be unusual for me to disappear in the Peak District for 6 hours or more on my bike. Now I can barely cycle and haven't managed 200 miles this year. On top of this, I also have the knowledge that my sick leave entitlement is running out soon, so unfortunately I'm forced to sell my house because obviously I'll not be able to afford to the mortgage on the hours that I'm able to work.

My situation is not unusual.

Prior to the pandemic, the only time in my career that a strike was called, I refused to join it and only really saw my union membership as a form of legal insurance. Now things have changed. In the last 18 months, countless healthcare professionals have stepped up and many have paid a huge price. Now it's only fair that a decade of austerity, where once again the health care professionals were expected to make their sacrifice, was reversed and financial recognition given.