PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exodus from Papua New Guinea - 4 helicopters
Old 29th Aug 2021, 06:27
Office Update

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
gulibell; I know what you mean about serial numbers... I was in Singapore on a stop over for a few days and an insurance adjuster asked me to pop accross to Borneo to look at a VH registered Ag plane that was impaled on an aerodrome fence. I took about 50 pics of the damage and a few weeks later was advised that the serial numbers of some of the components I photograped did not match those later found on the recovered wreckage. So there are those whom seek to profit....

I know the two guy's whom managed to get two of the Pumas out of the hangar at Goroka. The hangar I think belonged to another party and his machines were not saved so I am told.

In general and not suggesting any operational motives at Pacific Helicopters; with three now out of the country, and the Agusta Bell 206L, P2-PBG just arrived in Cairns a few minutes ago... I'm thinking that shifting older aircraft out and disposing of same and converting into cash would be a good idea. I'm guessing that most likely more to follow.

Business in PNG is becoming more complex on a daily basis. Air Niugini/Link PNG loose money on a daily basis as does PNG Air. Probably some method in the madness of Pixie buying into PNG Air a few weeks ago. Corruption is at its highest ever level and MRDC the government super fund own most of Air Niugini and also half or more of Hevilift PNG. Therefore one can assume quite safely that any government contracts will be headed to PX or Hevilift and the "facilitation" fee (bribes/brown envelopes) passed to pollies by the companies wishing to operate in minerals/exploration is not petty cash by any means. Former PM Peter O'Neil was not known as Peter O'Steal for nothing, and the De Havilland Dash-7 purchase with late PM Okuk was an early example.

With the passing of the late Mal Smith; one has to ask where the money is going? family? trust funds? or as is common in PNG, people coming out of the bushes and making claims.

Sad to say but Pacific Helicopters probably has no real function or purpose anymore.... wind it up and pass the left over loot to the many charities and trusts that Mal set up. He did operate on a global basis!

I would suggest if you take PNG government money/ownership out of the equation; then the only two companies making a profit in PNG at present would be MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship) with 10 Cessna C208 Caravans with PNG registration. One new, yet to be delivered and an older one airframe being refurbished at Mareeba. Still in their portfolio of PNG assets is two Twin Otters and two GA-8 Airvans, also parked at Mareeba and looking for new owners. Looking around POM airport, the only other mob making a quid would be Tropicair, because if they don't make budget every month I'm sure questions would be asked.

Tough times ahead for PNG operators. Mal's untimely passing is more far reaching for Pacific Helicopters than one might think...

Last edited by Office Update; 29th Aug 2021 at 09:09.