PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy Drone Tanker
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2021, 20:44
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
I am slightly intrigued by the difference in max trap and max launch weights = 8000 lbs /3629 kg, which suggests no immediate recovery if technical problems occur soon after launch.

The required weights suggests something much more substantial than an XQ-58A (MTOW <3 tonnes) or Reaper (MTOW <5 tonnes) sized UAV. From an AAR viewpoint both MTOWs are less than the 6.3 tonnes fuel transfer payload from the Bug or Stingray (the USN's target for CBARS was 6.8 tonnes to 4+ a/c at 500nmi); an almost dry F-35B can take in the region of 6 tonnes but one assumes the RN is looking at extending the 450 nmi combat radius (Internal fuel only).

As I have (half-jokingly) said before the RN isn't the only Navy needing to solve the problem; does affordability (and light weight) rule out a new integration for the RR liftsystem? I assume it has already ruled out enough power for STOBAR a la MiG-29K?

The RFI specifies an arrestor wire system - with a UAV how many wires are required? If they are truly looking for inovation does it have to be a wire - EMAAS? Why can't an EMALS follow the ramp profile? The MiG-29K suggest ramps can be used without thrust vectoring - so why not for a lighter UAV - isn't it mainly a question of having sufficient thrust to acheive enough forward velocity (and by implication lift) for sustained controlled flight before it leaves the ramp?