PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2021, 09:54
vectisman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe some of you are overthinking this situation. It will be a BA subsidiary probably registered with a name like British Airways Gatwick. Passengers will probably notice very little difference. I can’t see Club going as that is one thing that differentiates it from others at Gatwick. I have been reading several other articles and the general opinion tends to be BA looking for a lower cost base rather than just lower fares.
As for long haul and short haul cabin crew I am not certain. it may well be that long haul cabin crew will be mainline and short haul contracted to the new subsidiary. Not really that difficult to manage. Both long haul and short haul parts at Gatwick can easily share check in area, lounges, maintenance etc… as before.
As said above this will be another company(albeit in name only) within the BA brand. It is this brand that will be recognisable to the 6 million plus passengers who pre-covid use BA at Gatwick.
Of course I could be radically wrong but am fairly confident it will be something similar to what I have said above.
When agreed it will interesting to see the proposed network. The email sent to staff spoke of a domestic and European network of some scale. I suspect aircraft will A319/A320 to allow flexibility for different routes. Maybe some A321s in the summer peak. Remember IAG has been moving towards a common aircraft specification to allow fleet flexibility within the group.
Overall I see this as a positive move. It keeps BA at Gatwick in both long haul and short haul and ensures that they don’t give the market totally to easyJet and others.