PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to lay out roadmap for restart of international flights
Old 28th Aug 2021, 00:16
Foxxster

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LostWanderer
Love the optimism for attempt 3 (or is it 4 now?) to reopen international. But with winter now just around the corner for many of these proposed destinations and a new variant to scare our government almost a certainty, how long before this gets pushed back yet again.

Lambda is allegedly resistant to current vaccines from what I saw and the Pfizer CEO just a day or two ago was saying other vaccine resistant variants are a certainty in the near future.

None of this news is even remotely compatible with our federal and state governments unfortunately. Pulling the trigger on closing the country and states is their favourite pastime and highly doubt that will change if any of this happens as most any educated bets now say it will.
i have said the same thing a while ago. He also said that Pfizer could make a new version of the vaccine to fight variants in 95 days. So that’s 3 months. Then you have to produce billions of doses and then actually get them into people’s arms. We can see now how long that takes. So a year from start to finish. And in the meantime. If the variant renders current vaccines almost useless then we are back to where we where in March 2019.

The other factor is that Joyce has no control over what other countries do. If their response is to close their borders or insist on quarantine for all arrivals regardless of their vaccine status then it’s game over.

it’s all hope and fingers crossed. I can’t blame him, he has to do what he is doing. But don’t anyone think this is over.