PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to lay out roadmap for restart of international flights
Old 27th Aug 2021, 06:08
Fuel-Off

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by a_pilot
Let me rephrase

"the politicians are pushing for opening up once we reach 70-80% vaccination rate" as per the Doherty report

I never heard any politician mention death rate as a measures when to open and ease restrictions

Opening up on a specific vaccination rate only.

It's only what I hear on the news all day (with reference to the Doherty report)
Not necessarily death rates, but certainly hospitalisation rates would be looked at to determine any further public health measures being introduced. The UK is getting 30,000 cases a day, but the NHS is coping. Out of the countries that have notable vaccination rates none that I am aware of have gone back into lockdown (yes mask mandates have been re-introduced in some jurisdictions but no sweeping lockdowns). The Doherty report is a big punt. It might work, it might not. But one thing politicians are trying to change is the rhetoric now to balance the pandemic health requirements with the mental health needs of the general population. Its a start in the right direction. The premiers however, notably WA and QLD need to realise that their COVID-19 free status is tenuous at best. Victoria went into a sharp lockdown after a handful of cases and well, their cases are still going up. Albeit at a slower rate than NSW. Even epidemiologists in Australia are realising now that covid zero is just purely unsustainable for the longer term. New Zealand also echoed as much just recently as the entire country faces the prospect of a longer lockdown, especially in Auckland.

Its a pernicious foe. One that seeks out every little weakness in the armor - and succeeds. Seems vaccinations really are the only way out.

Fuel-Off