PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to lay out roadmap for restart of international flights
Old 27th Aug 2021, 02:09
a_pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rubbish
Not rubbish.
Just a different source of data, but thanks anyway.

These higher vaccination rates you describe further support my argument about the UK reaching (or already reached) the targets set by the Doherty model.

Now according to the Doherty model (not my opinion or belief), we have to open up (at least Australia) once we reach 80% vaccination rate. You can only expect similar guidelines to be used for international travel. As the PM recently said, "if we don't open up at 80%, then when do we?"

The doherty report clearly specifies "opening up" at a vaccination rate only and not any death rate. (So I hear from the politicians every day, with reference to the Doherty report)

Regarding death rate, Oh, it is worth taking note that the last time UK had over 30,000 cases per day prior such high vaccination, the death rate was about 1000 per day, compared to about 100 now.

It has been widely accepted (in the Doherty report) that once 70-80% vaccination is achieved and restrictions are eased, there will still always be deaths, but not as the same high rate as before.

Nobody ever said anything about completely eliminating the virus or a zero death rate. It's all about minimising hospitalisation (and eventual death) so that the hospitals don't get over crowded (so they keep saying, not my opinion)

Last edited by a_pilot; 27th Aug 2021 at 03:03.