PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas $1.83 Billion Loss FY20/21
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2021, 15:56
cLeArIcE

Received 180 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectAnywhere
Yeah, so if I was getting paid an amount for a fortnight's annual leave that I opted to take when I was stood down, QF used the 1500 reducing to 1200 then 1000 to subsidise that and had to pay me the rest, so they saved up to $1500 for the fortnight. That's an employee entitlement which the company has to fund anyway so the government subsidised my leave.

If I was at work, QF kept the money and used it to subsidise my salary as my salary was in excess of Jobkeeper.

If I took no leave and was on stand down I got the full amount and QF got nothing.

Jobkeeper was a massive fillip to employers as they kept most of it, unless their staff were on unpaid stand down in which case it was handed directly to the employee via payroll. Provided they had the cash, the best outcome for employers at the time was that staff were stood down but taking their leave to supplement their income as they were getting vast quantities of leave liabilities off the books subsidised heavily by the federal government. Nice work if you can get it.
If you can scrape by on job keeper why would you take leave? I sure haven't. I'll keep the leave and take the job keeper thank you. Doesn't even come close to the amount of tax that i've paid last year. Different story if you can't make job keeper cover your expenses with kid's etc. I'm fortunate that I don't have that and my partner in a different industry also gets job keeper. I'm sure companies would keep every cent if they could.